Well, food does “rule”, figuratively speaking, as it’s one of my favorite subjects. Yet literally there are Food Rules we should follow in order to live long and thrive.
If that last catch phrase sounded familiar, it’s Kaiser Permanente’s new slogan used in their latest ad campaign, which goes “May you live long and thrive”.
With that, I was at Kaiser Permanente’s Moanalua hospital yesterday visiting someone, when I decided before leaving to check out their ‘Sunshine Cafe’ cafeteria, where they had this FOOD RULES board up at the entrance in the hallway.
While much of it may sound like common sense, we all need to be reminded of these great tips every now and then so we make healthy choices in the kitchen, at the grocery store, or when going out to eat. Besides, if it’s posted in a hospital full of doctors and health care professionals, it’s gotta’ be sound advice.
Although you can enlarge that photo and read it from there, I’ll retype it here so you can easily copy and paste it and make your own poster that I would recommend you put up in your kitchen. That way it will be “in your face” every day, and you and your family members will live a happier life through proper diet. I already made my own FOOD RULES poster with these tips that I put on my fridge.
by Michael Pollan
• Eat when you’re hungry, not when you’re bored.
• Eat all the junk food you want, as long as you cook it yourself.
• Eat your colors.
• Treat meat as a flavoring or special occasion food.
• Avoid food products containing ingredients that a 3rd grader can’t pronounce.
• Eat mostly plants. Especially leaves.
• Shop the peripheries of the supermarket and stay out of the middle.
• Spend as much time enjoying the meal as it took to prepare it.
• Avoid food products that make health claims.
• Buy smaller plates and glasses.
• Do all your eating at the table.
• Treat treats as treats.
• Buy your snacks at the farmers market.
• Don’t eat anything your great-grandmother wouldn’t recognize as food.
• Eat meals.
• Eat food (as opposed to eating edible, food-like substances).
May you live long and thrive.
Not stopping there, I’ve come up with more Food Rules, with a little bit of a local Hawaii twist!
by The Tasty Island
• When ordering a plate lunch, opt for brown rice instead of white. (see plate above)
• When ordering a plate lunch, opt for tossed greens with a light dressing instead of macaroni salad. (see plate above)
• When ordering a plate lunch, opt for fish instead of meat; preferably grilled, baked or steamed, and not deep-fried. (unlike the plate depicted above lol)
• If the above options aren’t available, don’t order a plate lunch and get a salad instead. If that isn’t available, go somewhere else!
• Instead of regular, order the mini-plate.
• Choose water instead of soda or sugar-sweetened juices.
• Treat SPAM as a treat, and not a meat.
• Go easy on the shoyu. (sodium)
• Go easy on the mayo’. (fat)
Not to sound like a hypocrite, personally I know for a fact that I don’t always follow those rules, yet I know I should and I do at least try to.
Besides, I like leev’ one supah’ long time an’ ‘trive, laddat! (I want to live a super-long time and thrive!) lol